Sci-Fi Song #16 is a cover of Mr. Roboto by Styx. It is really more of a re-imagining rather than a cover. Basically, I took the lyrics of Mr. Roboto and wrote a completely different melody and chord progression.
This song was inspired by Ray and all of his readers at the Cover Me blog . I was their March Cover Commissions Artist and this was the song that they chose in a poll of different Sci-Fi themed cover songs.
I had a great time putting this together and I hope you enjoy it.
By the way, I had the great fortune of being interviewed over at SF Signal this week. Click here if you'd like to read more about my creative process.
Here are some of the tools that I used to record this track.
- Yamaha Acoustic Guitar in Open G tuning (My Martin recently suffered an unfortunate accident)
- G&L ASAT Telecaster Style Electric Guitar in Open G tuning
- Washburn Electric Bass Guitar
- Rode NT-1 and NT-3 microphones
- Apple Logic Pro 8 recording software
- The ES2 software synth and the EXS24 Sampler for the glockenspiel sound
- Logic's included compressor, delay, and reverb plug-ins
- The electric guitar parts were recorded through Logic's Guitar Amp Pro plug-in
- The drum parts were created using Beta Monkey's Drum Werks V loop collection