Sci-Fi Song #19 is my cover of "The Transformers Theme" from the 1980's animated show. The metal band Lion and the indie-rock band Mute Math have both done excellent renderings of this tune. I tried to incorporate elements of both versions into my interpretation. In the end, I think that my version sounds like a mixture of folk singer/songwriter, electronica, and progressive rock. I had a great deal of fun putting this together and I hope you enjoy it.
Here are some of the tools that I used to record this track.
- Yamaha Acoustic Guitar in Drop-D Tuning
- Rode NT-3 microphone for the vocals, acoustic guitar, and xylophone
- Apple Logic Pro 8 recording software
- Logic's included compressor, delay, distortion, EQ, pitch-shifting, and reverb plug-ins
- The sounds of the violin and cello parts come from Logic's EXS24 Sampler
- The synthesizer sounds were created using Logic's ES2 & EFM1 software synthesizers.
- The percussion parts were created using Logic's Ultrabeat Drum Synthesizer and Jam Pack drum loops