Sci-Fi Song #12 is an electronic instrumental that was inspired by Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer . I tried to convey the novel's feeling of the "Victorian age of the future" by combining the sounds of traditonal orchestral string instruments (supplied by my software's sampler), with the more futuristic sounds of synthesizers and electronic percussion.
Here are some of the tools that I used to compose this piece of music:
- Apple Logic Pro 7 recording software:
- The EXS24 Sampler for the orchestral string sounds
- The Sculpture software synth for the sustained pad sound that opens the piece.
- Ultrabeat for the electronic percussion
- The ES2 software synth for the bass and arpeggio parts
- Logic's included phaser and reverb plug-ins.
Hope you enjoy it,
- Sci-Fi Song #1: "Before the End of Time": another electonic instrumental inspired by the artwork of Janet Chui.
- Sci-Fi Song #4: "The Return of Titus Quinn": a solo acoustic guitar instrumental inspired by Kay Kenyon's Bright of the Sky
- Sci Fi Song #7: "Merithyn's Promise": another solo acoustic guitar piece inspired by Elizabeth Haydon's Requiem for the Sun